Are you getting tired of receiving all those unwanted text messages on your phone? It doesn’t matter what kind of device or OS you are using, you might get tired of receiving the same kind of spam or promotional messages over and over again. Don’t worry! In this guide, we will teach you how to block texts from a known as well as an unknown source on iPhone and Android. Let’s take it one step at a time and get things started.
If you have an iPhone and would like to block text messages, then you can easily take the assistance of its inbuilt feature. By simply blocking a contact, you can easily make sure that they won’t be able to send any text message to you as well. It also works well when you are receiving a message from an unknown number. Additionally, there are plenty of apps out there as well that can block spam texts automatically. We are going to focus on all the three aspects to help you block text messages on your iPhone.
1. Blocking texts from a saved contact
If you don’t like to receive any text message from a saved contact in your list, then you can just block them by following these steps.
• Go to the native Phone app on your iPhone and visit the “Contacts” menu.
• Now, go to the listing of the contact that you wish to block and tap on their name.
• This will open all the saved details regarding the designated contact. Tap on the option of “Block this caller”.
• You will be prompted again for confirmation. Just tap on the “Block Contact” again to confirm.
That’s it! Without using any third-party app, you have just blocked the designated contact and won’t receive any text message from them.
2. Blocking texts from an unknown contact
There are times when we also receive unwanted promotional or spam texts from various sources. You can also block these unknown contacts from sending you texts as well by following these steps.
• Go to the native Messaging app on your iPhone and select the message from the contact you want to block.
• Now, tap on the option of “Details” from the top-right corner of the interface. Furthermore, you can tap on the “i” icon in front of the contact to get its info.
• This will provide a list of different operations that you can perform regarding the caller. Just scroll down and select the “Block this caller” option.
Afterward, the designated number won’t be able to contact you until and unless you would unblock it.
3. With your carrier or third-party applications
Most of the mobile carriers also provide an option for its users to block certain contacts or spammers. You can go to the AT&T messaging center right here and just visit Preferences > Blocking Options to add the contacts you want to block.
Similarly, you can also visit’s Verizon’s messaging center here and visit Preferences > Text messages to block text messages from unknown sources. Additionally, there are plenty of apps on the App store that you can use to block spammers and other promotional text messages. Some of the popular third-party apps are Truecaller, Mr.Number, Call Bliss, Hiya, etc. that can keep you away from all those unwanted messages from spammers.
After learning how to block texts on iPhone, it is important to know the same for Android phones as well. There are times when many Android users get irritated by getting spam texts or would like to stop receiving texts from a known source at times. Android also comes with an inbuilt feature to block text messages from known as well as unknown sources.
1. Block texts from a saved contact
If you don’t like to receive text messages from a known source, then you can easily add them to your block list by following these simple steps.
• Visit the “Settings” option on your Android device and scroll all the way to the feature of “Call Rejection” or “Call Setting”. It might depend on the version of Android or the device that you are using.
• Now, under the section of Blocking, you would find an option of “Block List”. Just tap on it and add the contact you want to block. By doing this, you would no longer receive any text message from them.
2. Blocking texts from an unknown source
Android comes with a sophisticated text spammer feature that can certainly provide a superior smartphone experience to you. The feature might be available in different ways depending on the device you are using, but ideally it serves the same purpose. The following method will work for all those devices that run on KitKat and above.
• Start by visiting the native messaging app on your device. Just select the text messages from the specific senders you want to block and tap on the blocking icon. This will open another pop-up on the screen, asking you to add the selected contact into spam numbers. Simply agree to it to block the spammer.
• Furthermore, you can have more power to your blocking options as well. Visit the native messaging app on your device and tap on the More (three dots) icon and visit the Settings option.
• Here, you will get different options. Go all the way down to Spam Filters and turn that feature on. Here, you can add spam numbers, spam phrases, or block unknown senders as well.
3. Using third-party apps
After learning how to block texts on Android from a saved or an unknown source, you can also automate things and make it easier for you using a third-party app. There are plenty of apps out there that you can download and use to block text messages from spammers.
Clean Inbox is one of the most reliable apps that you can use to block unwanted messages on Android. With it, you can block text messages from a certain source, a series, or even provide a block phrase.
There are also plenty of other third-party apps that you can download from Google play to block unwanted texts. Some of them are Text Blocker, Truemessenger, Blacklist, SMS Blocker, etc.
Additionally, you can also filter the text messages you receive by visiting the messaging center of your carriers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and more.
I’m sure after following these simple instructions, you would be able to block unwanted text message from any source. A stepwise guide was provided for both, Android as well as iPhone users. If you still have any queries regarding text blocking, feel free to let us know in the comments below.